Students need travel insurance for a variety of reasons. Whether it's for a school trip, a volunteering programme or a study-abroad program, having the right cover is essential.
What Are The Risks of Student Travel?
Here are some of the risks that young students face while travelling domestically and abroad:
- Theft or Loss of Belongings: Theft happens everywhere in the world, and often unsuspecting young travellers are prime targets. If your passport, wallet, money or bag is stolen a good travel insurance policy will make sure you have access to emergency funds to get anything replaced.
- Emergency Hospitalisation: When travelling abroad, we are constantly exposed to new people, sights and food. Sometimes our curiosity can lead to an unexpected trip to the hospital. Student travel insurance will make sure you don't have to fit the bill while keeping your family informed of your status.
- Emergency Evacuations: If you're planning a hiking trip into the mountains, a misplaced step or rock fall could result in you needing an emergency medical evacuation. It's an expensive process that could land up costing thousands of dollars if you don't have student travel insurance.
What Coverage Do You Need for Student Travel Insurance?
Here are some of the most useful coverages available to students:
- Medical and dental coverage: If you get sick or need to visit a doctor for any other reason while abroad you can avoid paying for the consultation and any medication.
- Emergency medical union: This coverage provides the necessary funds for a close friend or family member to visit you in cases of hospitalisation.
- Passport and Credit Cards: If your wallet is stolen, you'll be able to claim emergency cash, and the policy will cover any expenses you incur replacing your documents.
- Travel assistance: This service ensures that someone is always available to give you advice. From finding a local doctor to replacing your passport or facilitating an emergency cash transfer from home.
Who Should Get Student Travel Insurance?
Backpacking and Gap Year
Are you planning to travel the world for a couple of months or a year? You'll need travel insurance tailored to your needs as most policies only last 30-60 days.
Students can also get an annual policy that will cover you for multiple short trips throughout the year. It's ideal if you're planning to study abroad for a semester or you're travelling to compete in events.
Working and Volunteering Abroad
Planning to take advantage of a working holiday abroad or give back your skills? You'll need a policy that will cover you for light work such as picking fruit or manual labour that involves operating machinery.
For volunteers, your travel insurance might not cover you if you're visiting a war zone or an area where a natural disaster recently occurred. If this is the case, you might need to get your policy adjusted to meet your needs.
Choose your student travel insurance cover
Webjet student travel insurance is available in four different forms and has a number of benefits:*
- Customise your insurance policy, and choose from Comprehensive, Essentials, Medical or Cancellation cover.
- Up to $5000 of luggage cover under Webjet's Comprehensive Cover
- 24/7 emergency assistance
- Webjet's student travel insurance cancellation and luggage cover can also cover non-Australian residents travelling within Australia.
Trusted by more than 3 million customers
Leading the way in online travel tools and technology, Webjet is Australia and New Zealand's leading online travel agency enabling customers to compare, combine and book the best domestic and international travel flight deals, accommodation and holiday packages.
Money back guarantee
If you aren't 100% satisfied with your policy purchase, Webjet has a 14 day money back guarantee meaning you can cancel your purchase and receive a full refund (permitted you're not making any claims and neither your trip nor policy has started)
Backed by Allianz Global Assistance
Webjet travel insurance is backed by Allianz Global Assistance, the world leader in travel insurance, assistance and personal services. Simply choose get a quote, view your details, select your payment and receive instant confirmation of your travel insurance booking with Webjet and Allianz Global Assistance.
Webjet Travel Insurance
* This insurance is issued and managed by AWP Services New Zealand Limited NZBN 9429035270157 (Incorporated in New Zealand) trading as Allianz Global Assistance and is underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited 15 000 122 850 (Incorporated in Australia) trading as Allianz New Zealand. Webjet Marketing Pty Ltd arranges this insurance as agent for Allianz Global Assistance. You should consider the Policy Wording before making any decision about this insurance. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. For further information on Allianz Australia Insurance Limited’s financial strength rating, please refer to the Financial Strength Rating and Overseas Policyholder Preference Disclosure Notice. For full details of coverage, please visit https://insurance.webjet.co.nz/