Compare Cheap Flights from Tauranga to Honiara, Solomon Islands
Looking for cheap flights to Honiara from Tauranga? Use Webjet's deal finder to help you compare flights, carriers and seating classes all year round. You'll be sure to find the right flight to match your budget, plans and travel preferences.
|Departure Date||Last Updated^|
Cheapest time to fly to Honiara
Best upcoming flight deals
Currency used in Honiara
Current Time in Honiara
Average Temperature in Honiara
Average Rainfall in Honiara
See more of Honiara
Know Before You Go
- The ocean around Honiara is known as Iron Bottom Sound. It gets its name from a large number of sunken World War II ships in its depths that make for a unique scuba diving or snorkelling experience.
- Hike to Matanikau Falls. It's an easy hike that will immerse you in Honiara's incredible nature as well as its history. Keep an eye out for the Japanese foxholes and bullet casings left behind from the war.
- Head to Rain Tree Cafe if you are looking for a beautiful sunset meal. The restaurant looks over the ocean and is under a thatch leaf house. Remember to allow enough time for your meal to be prepared as everything is made from scratch.
- If you need to get a SIM card, head to the Exchange Money Kiosk after clearing customs. Present your boarding pass, and you'll get a free Vodafone SIM card. However, internet packages are expensive, and you can expect to pay SBD 100 for 750 MB.
- You can't use a foreign driver's licence in the Solomon Islands. If you want to drive yourself around, you'll need to fill out a form, provide two passport photos and you'll be given a local driver's license.
Getting Around Honiara
- The easiest way to get around Honiara is with a taxi. The cabs are cheap and plentiful throughout the town. You can hail one from the streets or call one for about 10 SBD per kilometre. If you are planning on doing a lot of sightseeing in a day, you can hire a taxi for SBD 200 for three hours. Otherwise, you can join a tour, but it will be a more expensive way to get around.
- There are also minibuses that you can use as well. They are a reliable and affordable way to travel across the island. A single journey is SBD 3 regardless of the distance.
- If you want more freedom to move around you can hire a car. It is more expensive than a rental in other countries, but it's worth it if you want to get off the beaten track.
When is The Best Time to Visit Honiara?
The Solomon Islands have an average temperature of 27°C with only small changes throughout the year. With it being so hot and humid, make sure you stay hydrated throughout your trip and reapply your sunscreen as the day goes on.
If you want a small break from the heat, visit Honiara during the drier months. Temperatures from May to October are more comfortable with the humidity levels at their lowest. There isn't much rainfall, so you won't need to worry about any activities being cancelled due to bad weather. However, this does make it a popular time to visit. Expect hotels to raise their rates, and the island to be busier than usual.
From November to April is the island's wet season. Honiara sees its highest levels of rainfall during this time and flooding in the city is not uncommon. The threat of Cyclones during this period keeps most travellers away. If you don't mind less than perfect weather, you'll find great deals on accommodation and have the island to yourself.
Airports in Honiara
Honiara International Airport
Honiara International is located 8 km from the city centre. It's the only international airport on the Solomon Islands and is served with weekly flights from Fiji Airways, Solomon Airlines and Air Niugini.
Getting To and From Honiara International Airport
The cheapest way to get from the airport into the city is with a bus. A single trip will cost you between SBD 2 to 3 and will take about 30 minutes.
A more comfortable and efficient way to get to your hotel is with a taxi. Taxis will be waiting outside the arrivals hall and cost about SBD 100 one way.
Other options include renting a car or contacting your hotel to see if they provide a free airport shuttle service.