Compare Cheap Flights from Tauranga to Faro, Portugal
Want to spend your holiday abroad relaxing on Faro's famous beaches? Check out Webjet's latest deals, find a flight that fits your budget and start planning your trip!
Know Before You Go
- One of Faro's top sights to visit is the Capela dos Ossos in the Igreja do Carmo church. The chapel is decorated with the skeletal remains of over 1,200 former monks, and it's one of the most macabre things you can do in Portugal
- Visit the Archaeological Museum. It's open from Tuesday to Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and it costs EUR 2 to get in. It's the perfect trip for travellers who love history and want to see Moorish artefacts, Baroque paintings and Roman remains.
- For beach bums, head to Praia de Faro. It's considered the best beach in the region and stretches across the coastline for 5 km. It also has small beach bars if you get thirsty and is only 5 minutes from the airport.
- Visit the pink Estoi Palace. It's a short day trip from Faro and one of the finest examples of Rococo architecture in the region.
- If you decide to go to a restaurant, don't eat the selection of starters your server will bring out for you. It's not free, and it will be added onto your bill.
Getting Around Faro
- Faro's city centre is small, making it easy to explore on foot. The distances between top attractions are reasonable, and it's the perfect reason to get lost and find some hidden gems.
- Driving a car in Faro is cheap, but it can get tricky. Parking spots in the centre are scarce, and paid parking is expensive. Also, make sure you rent a car with a "full to full" policy to avoid expensive fuel charges.
- The city has a reliable bus system. Buses 16 and 14 go around the city as well as to the airport. Tickets are bought from the driver, and the longest journey around Faro won't cost more than EUR 5.90. You'll also need small change as drivers can't break large notes.
- There is also an extensive railway network if you want to travel further afield. It's an affordable way to get to nearby destinations in the Algarve region like Albufeira.
- If you want more independence getting around without the expense of a car, hire a bike. It costs EUR 6.20 for a day.
- Other options include the ferries. Hop on a boat and sail to the nearby sandy islands of Ria Formosa for a day trip.
When is The Best Time to Visit Faro?
If you are on a tight budget, the best time to visit Faro is during the winter. From December to March, you'll have better luck finding deals on accommodation and flights. Temperatures drop to an average of 10°C, so make sure you pack enough layers to keep yourself warm as you explore the city.
The busiest time of year is from June to September. The hot summer temperatures attract holidaymakers from all over Europe. As a result, prices for hotels and flights are at their highest, and the city's famous beaches are packed. But if you don't mind the hordes of tourists, it's one of the most beautiful times of year to visit the Algarve region.
If you want to take advantage of the warm weather without the crowds, visit during spring or autumn. The temperatures are still warm enough to go to the beach - minus the crowds. You'll also have an easier time finding discounts on hotel rooms and the city's streets will be less busy.
Airports in Faro
Faro airport is 4 km from the city centre. It's the busiest during its summer months to the point where it becomes a slot coordinated airport. There are several seasonal flights to and from European destinations, and the airport is a hub for budget airline Ryanair.
Getting To and From Faro Airport
The cheapest way to get from the airport to the city centre is on the bus. A single trip costs EUR 2.20 and the bus runs every 50 minutes to the central station in town.
A taxi from the airport costs around EUR 12 one way. Taxi run 24 hours a day and are found outside the arrivals terminal. If you don't want to take a taxi, there are more than 50 airport transfer companies to choose from.
If you want to rent a car for your stay, it's advised to book your reservation ahead of time. It can save you money as renting on arrival will be more expensive. Rentals start at around EUR 10 per day.